Sunday, November 10, 2019

3D Printed Pontoon Bridge

 Dave from the club is running a Iran/Iraq War-game at Fall In and needed a pontoon bridge. I volunteered to print one and you can see my first attempt was more abstract than I hoped.  A little repair work on the printer and things were set right.
 The print files I'm using are from WOW Buildings and are for a WW2 Bailey bridge (part of WOWBuildings Market Garden set of files).

Theres a file for the platform (which prints two decks) and pontoons, which I copied in the slicing program to print 3 at a time.  I didn't like the look the mix of pontoons to platforms in the second picture, so printed both files again.
This version looks a lot better and gives Dave and extra section if he ever needs it.  The original file is scaled for 28mm some I ad to reduce it.  The detail came out well but the railing are REALLY then and break easily.  I snapped off a number of sections while painting up this bridge.

A word on painting 3D prints.  One of the downsides of 3D printing is the print layers (striations) are sometimes visible.  There are a number of ways to hide them depending on the material used to print.  I mainly print in PLA (why? because its what I have on hand) and the easiest way to mask the layering is to prime with a thicker medium so I use a white gesso  (Liquitex).  It works surprisingly well for terrain items.  I tint the white gesso with whatever base color I plan to use to reduce the chance of bright white spots showing through.

A couple of coats of white gesso and then some Vallejo Russian Green and this bridge is done.

3 comments:

john de terre neuve said...

nicely done, i have seen that birds nest myself!

Gary said...

Nice bridge. I found that when you get the spaghetti print. It is because the print lifted off the bridge. Lost a 8 hour print this way. Paul Deeming WOW series is great. Same goes for Jens WW2 series ( #d Print Terrain). I own Jens Dark Ages set, Normandy, Cold war and Russian (WW2). Paul is very active on fixing any problems with his files. Currently making St Marie Eglise Church for Jen's set. Also printing is addictive...lol

Curt said...

Wow indeed! What a wonderful looking bridge - great work Miles!