Wednesday, February 17, 2021

Stalingrad Project: Supplies Running Low

 

Like any military campaign, terrain projects are won and lost over logistics.  If one does not have the raw materials, one does not make a lot of progress.  While the core tabletop has been built there are some extra details I want to add and my supplies are running very thin.  My gallon bucket of pre-mixed flexible tile grout is just about empty.  I started the project with this bucket 3/4 full so it has served me very well over the past few months.  I'll need to run out and grab another bucket in a day or two.


Please excuse the disheveled work room between the messiness of a giant terrain project and the basement flood it's a shambles.  In all honesty, it was a shambles before the flood but now there's an excuse!


Also running low on railroad ballast and talus.  I was using 4 different types and started the project with all of these bins full.  I have made a tactical error here as I never wrote down the names of the different ballast products and those are now "lost forever".   The rubble terrain making technique I've developed for this project does not involve painting so I'm lucky the supplies held out until the project was finished.


What are the blank hexes for - I'm doing some testing on making generic "countryside" terrain in 15mm scale and so have 2 road, 2 clear and 2 to be forested hexes to see how it looks.   I'm kind of all in on hex terrain.


Using lots of different texture sizes is important to getting a good look on the table top - I've found four is a really good match and its worth the few extra steps to ensure things don't have too uniform of a look.

Looks like a trip to the hardware store is in the cards for later this week




4 comments:

Codsticker said...

On the question of ballast colours it looks like (form left to right) you have
buff, brown, light grey and grey mix. All would be Fine Ballast except the last which I think is Medium Ballast. Hopefully I am not wrong and that is helpful.😄

Lasgunpacker said...

For "open" terrain like fields and forests and other areas not built up, does it make sense to have a cluster of hexes? More work to set up, but then you can have larger features, or cover more area without having to stop at a hex edge.

Miles said...

Lasgunpacker:
You are correct - larger things like a wheat field will be made from a few hexes that are glued together. The same for Hills and such

Codsticker:
Very helpful, the ballast is from different manufactures and purchase over 10 years ago when I was into model railroads. I keep kicking around the idea of a z-scale layout cause it would be fun and help scratch the terrain itch I seem to always have

BigLee said...

All workrooms get in a shambles from time to time...it's a sign your busy. Admittedly not all the things keeping you busy were planned, or even welcome, but that's life.