Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Robtic's Season Starts

 Well it had to happen - the gaming room has transformed into a robotics room as my son's robotics team starts it's competition.  Given the success we had last year, I'm now coaching two teams which will be a bit of a challenge (think Varsity and Jr Varsity).

The game table is now serving as a build table but hopefully I'll be able to sneak some quick games in every once and awhile.

 Here's the field for this year's competition - there are bowling balls we need to move around and the primary scoring mechanism is placing racquet balls in plastic creates and then stacking the crates onto top of one another.  There are 100 racquet balls in play at one time (they start in the cylinders and the 'bots need to knock them over to get at them.  12 of the racquet balls will have a magnet hidden inside that you need to detect (by building a magnetic sensor, of course) and placing them in a separate goal.


Here's the logo for the game - it's a really good challenge and both my son and his teammates are really charged up for this year.  You can learn more about the competition using the following link:
USFIRST ROBOTICS/FTC

There's a slide show on the website and the third picture is of my team at the World Championship last year.

3 comments:

Paul O'G said...

Good luck to the boys!

Doc Smith said...

The sacred gaming room & table taken over again I see - what sacrifices us father's make! (Mines apparently organising and running an AFL football 'Super 9's' team in the off-season this year, or so my son tells me!) And like me I know you love it too - good luck to the boys this year - hope you guys design some awesome machine that carves, slices and dices the opposition!

Cheers,
Doc

The Angry Lurker said...

Good luck again this year.