Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Wizard's Tower: Part Two - Painting


The painting of Steve's Tower was very simple.  The first step (which I have no pictures of) was to cover the entire piece in a primer made of 50% cheap craft paint and 50% Modge Podge matte finish.  This provides both a nice black primer to cover up the pink and white EPS and also hardens the foam a bit to make the piece a bit more durable.  I got this idea form the Jeremy's Black Magic Craft Youtube channel and am using it for almost all of my terrain related projects.

Because the surface is so uneven, I do the priming in two steps - a thinned down version is first applied and allowed to dry and then a full strength one is applied over the top.  The definition of thinned down is a dip my brush in the 50/50 mixture and then dip it again in some water before painting it on.  I used a 1" brush as priming terrain isn't exactly precision work.

Once the primer has been given 24 hours to dry, the next step is to paint the whole thing a medium grey, dry brush a light grey and black wash.

This is also a nice picture of the revised top where an overhand was added with the crenelation now along the outer ring.  I doubt it's architecturally sound but it looks cool.
Interior of level three
level two
and the ground floor.

The exterior was really simple, as Steve will be using the Tower in multiple settings.  I used a scenic express ground cover and then attach some loose material for vines and moss

It's a really simple technique that looks rather nice

The top was fun as I had some of extra bricks so I made a simple pattern around along the edge.  I also added a hatch.
and, of course a ladder to get to the roof.  The rungs on the ladder are spaced in a way that a minis' bases can be slotted in to some them going up the ladder.

I also painted up the beams at this point.
The last thing to bee done was to scratch build a pair of doors that open and close.


3 comments:

CelticCurmudgeon said...

This is terrific! Thank you for detailing the painting process and how you detailed the almost completed piece. You could almost play out the battle scene from "The Warlord" with Charlton Heston with this wonderful piece.

BigLee said...

Excellent work. You need patience for this!

caveadsum1471 said...

Lovely looking tower! Great detailing and impressive application to produce all those bricks!
Best Iain