Tuesday, March 3, 2020

Sturmovik Commander at the Club

Ed ran a very nice WW2 air combat game last night at the club using the Sturmovik Commander ruleset.  Yeah I hadn't heard of those rules either.

The scenario was early in the Pacific campaign and depicted a rag-tag air raid by US and Dutch forces on a Japanese port - technically a Dutch port but the Japanese had rudely taken it the day before.  Tom and I commanded the Japanese air defenses and had 3 zeros and 1 seaplane each.  Josh and Simon commanded the American and Dutch forces, respectively. 

As usual, Ed put on a grand show with a meticulously researched scenario.  I would grant the victory to the Allies as Tom and I learned its a bad idea for a fragile zero to trail B-17A's.

The rules took a little while to get used to, but as the game went on I caught on.  There is pre-plotting of movement but with more flexibility that saw Check Your Six.  Shooting is fairly difficult needing 5 or 6's to hit (usually 6'3) and then rolling to damage, which requires another 6 unless using a high caliber weapon.  There is limited ammo, which is a nice feature. 

I look forward to playing this ruleset again and hope to avenge the dishonor my flying skills have brought upon the Emperor.

No comments: