Friday, December 4, 2020

Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge XI: The Pigment Arsenal is Being Readied for Action

 

With the commencement of AHPC XI now less than 3 weeks away, there are fevered preparations being undertaken down in the Lair.  


The first step is a moderate cleaning of the painting desk.  It will need another pass but at least now I can actually see the wood top.  As with past challenges, I like to start off with a brand new set of Winsor & Newton Series 7 brushes in sizes 0, 1 and 2.  They are super expensive but I've yet to find anything that matches their quality and durability.  Challenge XI will see two new forms of pigmenting weaponry deployed.  A magnifying visor and some extra fine sharpie paint markers (white and black).  There will be a lot of 6mm miniatures involved in this years effort and my eyes are struggling a bit to see the details on those wonderful Baccus casts.  I'll be using a magnifier visor to help with the painting.  It will take some getting used to but it's already a huge help.  On the plus side, I do look truly dashing while wearing them and am hopeful that images of me in the visor will lead to lucrative modeling contracts in the near future.  The markers may be considered a bit of cheating but are really handy for drawing in straps and reins.  We'll have to test to see how durable this method is on the figures.


The terrain work bench has also been cleaned up in anticipation of finishing off the remaining 60% of the Stalingrad table I've been working on.  Pictured are pretty much all the tools I use for scratch building outside on large contraptions like my 3D Printer (when it chooses to cooperate) and my Cricut cutter (ALWAYS dependable).

Here's the north 40% of the Stalingrad table which is pretty much done other than weathering and is not suitable for this years Challenge.  Don't worry there is another slightly large section that will go on the left side of the picture which will require a good deal of terrain work.  Expect to see some 15mm Soviet and German miniatures along with the terrain.

There also may be a little Napoleonic related terrain to work on that will be used for an upcoming LWTV episode but that's top secret so don't go blabbing that to anyone else.  I'm sure I can trust your discretion.

Points wise, the "official" points target will be 2,500 but who knows what's going to happen.  At least my hobby time will not be curtailed by business trips for the next few months.  I really do miss my monthly sojourns to London where I can pretend to be a "investor".  

Stay safe everyone.



6 comments:

Paul Scrivens-Smith said...

Good prep work.
I think mine may consist of removing a layer of mess from the painting table.
I like the idea of the visor, do you wear spectacles, are they compatible together?

Miles said...

I do wear glasses and they work fine with the visor

Millsy said...

I see you Tajima1 stockpile is almost as large as mine! :-)

Ray Rousell said...

I keep thinking about buying those magnifying glasses, my eyes just ain't what they used to be!

Paul Scrivens-Smith said...

Thanks Miles, Amazon will deliver my set tomorrow....

Tom L said...

The table looks ready. Good luck in the painting challenge. Good choice on the visor. I use mine often. My wife has noted how it is quite a unique look.