Tuesday, December 22, 2020

"And So it Begins" The Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge version XI.0 has started

This year's Painting Challenge has started and after a fairly long painting session yesterday, I've painted and based the majority of my planned Republican Roman army.  All in glorious 6mm with the figures from Baccus.  The bases need to be painted and have some scenery added which will be today's project. 


Along the left side of the picture is a row of partially painted Spanish and Italian allied troops and some Roman generals in the back.  I'll try to get those chaps finished before Christmas.  In addition to being Spanish, Italians or even Samnites, these figures can double for Gauls and Celts in a pinch.


All of the figures are based for the ruleset "Age of Hannibal" which uses 40mm square basing for all units.  Generals are based as single figures on round 25mm bases.  The rules are simple but very fun and allow one to play very large battles to a conclusion in an evening.  They were written by fellow club member Greg Wagman and I suggest you check them out.


There has been a rather silly logistical failure on my part for this year's Challenge.  I seem to have forgotten that is one is building several armies that all use 40mm square bases, one should check ones supply of said bases.   Let us just say the currently my demand for 40mm bases exceeds my supply.  Well my failure is the gain of those fine people at Litko as an order for a rather large number of 40mm bases was placed yesterday afternoon.  Let us all hope their base making machinery has not gone on Christmas break yet.  Crack that whip, Mr Litko - I NEED those bases!!!!!!


Ok, that last line might be a little over-the-top.


 

4 comments:

Peter Douglas said...

Impressive looking legions Mr DeMille. I had a similar fail on mdf bases and await the remedy by mail from Sarissa in the UK

BigLee said...

Plenty of bases this year, but I've had a similar "Oh &@#?!$" moment in previous Challenges.

Paul O'G said...

That looks just superb mate. Great stuff!

I'm intrigued about your use of 40mm bases though - any specific reason? Asking for a friend with 6 unpainted English Civil Wars armies in 6mm...

Miles said...

Paul: There all based for the "age of Hannibal" ruleset, which is the club's main ruleset for ancients. 40mm is a pretty nice size and will work with just about any ruleset as long as both sides are based the same-ish. Merry Christmas to you and your family