Tuesday, August 20, 2013
Redoing the Game Room
The picture above shows the gaming room with the 8x4 foot table in the center. The room measures 21.5 feet long by 11.5 feet wide.
I've been given a good bit of space to play with (approx 450 square feet). So now I need to figure out what to do with it. So far of the "to do list" consists of:
- Build / Buy some display cabinets for the minis and 30+ robotics trophies. IKEA make some nice and inexpensive cabinets so that may be the way to go.
- Improve the lighting over the table
- Build leafs to let me expand the playing surface of the table to 12 feet long and 6 feet wide
- Add some seating to the lounge area including a recliner for my more "reflective" moments
- Add some game room appropriate "decor" military paintings the odd musket or saber
- Redo my sectional terrain the consist of 2x4 ft panels rather than 2x5 ft. I'll get more flexibility and they are much easier to store / transport.
- Do so on a very limited budget - I'm still in budget negotiations with the Boss on this but lets say she's figured out the only real way to control this endeavor is the financial lever. It is very difficult being married to someone who is WAY smarter than you.
- Get all this done by Nov 1 - why Nov 1?, all projects need and arbitrary and unrealistic deadline in order to get done.
So here's my question to you - if you had the game room of your dreams what would you like to see in it?
(*) I'll still be coaching robotics this year but we will be setting up shop at another parents home - the wear and tear of 18-20 high school age boys for 5 years has proven a bot too much for the house and my wife. I do expect to fund some of the project from the reduced grocery bills I'll have - you will not believe how much food those lads can consume!