Saturday, November 1, 2014

Trick or Treat!, I Got A Land Ironclad!

Despite not donning a costume or even going trick or treating, the "Great Pumpkin" was good to me and I received another installment from the "All Quiet of the Martian Front" kickstarter - a US Land Ironclad.  I got this as part of a test shipment as this model is both HUGE and HEAVY (5 pounds of resin).  The kit comes with 17 resin pieces and a large bag of metal parts.  The hull of this beast measure 11.5 inches long and 5 inches wide.

 A close up of the hull section - while hard to see in the photo, the hull is very detailed with rivets hatches and all sorts of extras.  It's a remarkably clean cast for such a huge hunk of resin.  Assembly started this morning, after washing all the resin parts and leaving them to dry over night.  I used an epoxy glue for attaching the sponsons to both the tracks and the hull.  Standard hobby "super-glue" was used for everything else.

 A picture of the fully assembled model.  Assembly took about 2 hours and there was relatively little clean up required for the parts.  This kit has a lot of opportunity for customization - I'm thinking of adding a derrick assembly off the back for a armored car of some sort.  To provide some scale in the lower right of the picture is a battlefront 15mm scale Sherman tank.

This model will be a lot of fun to paint.  Actual painting will need to wait until the start of the Analogue Hobbies painting challenge this year.  I have no idea how Curt will score this beastie.

I look forward to blasting some Tripods with this baby.

9 comments:

Blaxkleric said...

Simply Wow!! What a beast and I look forward to seeing some WIPs for this :-)

Paul O'G said...

What a beauty! Cant wait to see what you do with it Miles

Nick von Cover said...

Want!

Want NOW!

(That's the thing I hate about Kickstarter. I somehow manage to miss all the really cool stuff!)

Nick blogs at Spotting Round.

Unknown said...

Wow. Now that is a beastie!

Doug said...

Not really my thing.. but just wow! - that's a fantastic looking model. Sort of the T35's distant ancestor. Really looking forward to seeing how this looks under paint. Hoping for a faded (light) blue - with lots of rust streaks and chipping..

DeanM said...

That's quite a monstrous kit! Very intimidating.

Ray Rousell said...

That's a nice bit of kit!!!

Stefan (aka. Monty) said...

Stunning beast !

Clint said...

Well that's a big one!

I shall look forward to seeing this in the Analogue challenge.