Thursday, November 15, 2018

Debts Paid, Part 2: Dice Towers with a "fancy" touch

The dice towers are nearing completion and should be in the post by Monday.  The towers themselves are all done and have had 4 layers of lacquer applied.  I think they look good.  I did find the trays a little stark and decided to add a little flavor by mounting some maps.  The internet i a wonderful thing if one Googles "Wargaming Maps".  I picked some sections at random and carefully cut them to size.  There just placed in the trays for now.

 Squad Leader was one of the formative games in my entry to the wargaming hobby so I was especially happy to find some map images from the game.

There are also some ACW battle maps.  These are the ones created by the Civil War Preservation Trust and are both very nicely done and useful for laying out a battlefield.

The final step will involve carefully mounting these maps to the tray bottoms - I'll be using a spray on contact cement.  Once mounted and cured, the map images will  be covered with 4-5 layers of Modge-Podge to protect them from the wear and tear of dice rolling.

I "stole" the image idea from the 6mmacw.com website.  Here's a link to the site's article on Dice Trays.

My next hobby related shop project will be fairly big - but more on that in a future post......

By the way, I'm not sure why my I-phone camera is adding a striped bar across the lot side of the image.  Surely it can not be due to user error!

5 comments:

The Angry Lurker said...

Very, very nice Miles!

john de terre neuve said...

I must say they are very nice, the map in the bottom looks great.

John

Lasgunpacker said...

Very nice looking, and you are right, those map cut outs certainly add something!

Ray Rousell said...

Love the addition of the maps Miles.

Gary said...

Very nice. I like the one that you used the ASL maps in.