Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Quarantine Wargamer Woodworking, Project 2: Storage Cabinet

With the prototype stool done, it's time for another for another project (that I have been putting off) - a storage cabinet.  The overall dimensions are 24 inches high, 48 wide and 18 deep.

The first photo so the framing of the cabinet carcass.  I was doing the design pretty much on the fly.

In the end, I decided to put in a stack of drawers on the right side so put in a divider and started adding drawer runners up each side.  I'm using my "standard" miniature storage drawer size of 10 inches wide, 16.5 deep and 2.5 high so all the drawers are interchangeable with the other ones I've built.  I've also got a jig built that makes building the drawers really easy and didn't want to design another one.

After a few hours work time all the drawers were built and the cleats for the shelves added.  I plan on adding a back once I get some 1/8 inch plywood, but that will be awhile

The next step will be the worst part of any project involving wood - sanding.  Once that's down I'll cit the shelf panels and install this bad boy in the basement.

Stay safe & healthy everyone.

2 comments:

Ian said...

I wish I had those skills

Ian

Ray Rousell said...

You're a clever chap Miles!