Monday, September 24, 2012

Building Sectional Terrain, Part III

 After some non-war gaming project delays (robotics and work), the frames for the five 2x5' terrain sections are complete.  They came out nicely and are both rigid and light (coming is a 4 lbs each).

The next step will involve some light sanding and then sealing the wood.  I am toying with the idea of lining the tops with 1/4 inch think cork flooring and then using a file and Dremel to create undulations in the terrain.  I should perhaps do a test piece as I'm worried about how the edges will wear and how my terrain pieces will look when placed on top.

Here's a shot of the last two sections awaiting attachment of the final 1x2' top and a cross-brace that goes under it for support.

I should start scenicing the boards this weekend and have then finished by mid October.

7 comments:

Ben B. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ben B. said...

They look quite professional. Then you get to do the fun part, the scenics and all. By the way I'll probably get to see it in person at Fall In! I've made it there the last two years.

john de terre neuve said...

Nice looking I am particularly looking forward to the next part.

John

The Angry Lurker said...

Looking good sir!

DeanM said...

Yet another ambitious project, Miles. I know it'll turn out superbly too. Best, Dean

Paulalba said...

Looking good!

Monty said...

Looking forward to the finished product Miles ;)