Sunday, October 23, 2016

Frostgrave Terrain

 Decided to make some Frostgrave terrain today out of shop scraps.  I had some extruded polystyrene foam lying around and just went to work without much of a plan.
 The base is 12 x 12 inches and the EPS is 1 inch thick - a little too thick for this application but it's what I have on hand.  The first two shots are some test fits.  Making the brick pattern on both sides of the wall was a pain.  I used the handle of a paint brush to make the mortar lines between the bricks.
 Add some stairs out of 1/4 inch styrene that came with some packages.

 Starting the glue up.  All of the straight EPS cuts were made on my handy Proxxon hot wire cutter.
 Another shot of the project being glued up.
I didn't like the uniform heights of the walls so I made some 1x2 inch "blocks" and added in a little variability.

Not bad for a 90 minutes of work.

3 comments:

joe5mc said...

Off to a great start!

john de terre neuve said...

Very nicely done. I am curious do you coat with PVA and then spray or just prime with brush.

John

jmilesr said...

I prime with cheap black craft paint and then paint the colors on

After letting it dry a few days, the next step is to "seal" the foam with a coat of slightly diluted matte medium (1/3 water, 2/3 Matte Medium)