Friday, August 24, 2018

More 15mm Napoleonics Basing

 Basing continues to, umm, grind along.  To date, I've got about 1,0000 figures stuck on bases - all of which still need to have scenery work.  Basing can be tedious but I find it oddly calming if there's something nice on in the background like Bach or Elvis Costello.  Sadly music from artists like Metallica don't really work with miniature basing as the violent head bobbing it induces gets flock all over the place.

I'll do a much more in depth army review later on but I've been working to flesh out my Peninsular Campaign armies.  From left to right there are:

British
- 5 Calvary units
- 14, 24 figure infantry Battalions

Portuguese
- 2 Infantry
- 2 Calvary

Spanish
- 2 Calvary
- 8, 24 figure infantry Battalions

French
- 10 Line Infantry
- 6 Light Infantry
- 3 Guard Infantry (one each for Young, Middle and Old)
- 7 calvary (with more to come)

There is still a lot of artillery to base (roughly 40 guns across all the combatants).  I'm aiming to get over 2,000 figures on the table for Historicon 2019 and am roughly halfway there with the pre-painted ones I've purchased.  The rest I'll paint myself over the next 10 months or so.  Thee will also be some ships - at least 7 - to build and paint up plus their crews stands.  It's going to be a busy winter.

Hey Curt, get ready to tally up a lot of 15mm Napoleonics for the upcoming Challenge - if you choose to subject yourself for a ninth time!

 Another exciting "action shot".  It really doesn't convey the whole dramatic effect as you can't hear the music in the background which in this case is Elvis Costello's classic "Imperial Bedrooms" album.

I use a resin sand for the groundwork as it both provides great texture and firmly "glues" the figures in place.  I've learned to use cheap aluminum sheet cake pans to protect my work surface and making flocking a lot easier.  Since this is a Peninsular French army there will be a lot of Dragoons - The picture shows 15 stands in production and I've got another 15 stands waiting in their plastic bag barracks.

Since I've been home recovering from surgery for the past few weeks, our second rescue cat, Buddy has decided that I merit his attention.  Buddy typically hides all day sleeping so I view this as a major step forward in my social rank in the cat world.  Buddy came to us very beat up and can't see all that well but he's doing much better.  He is huge for a cat - weighing in at 13 pounds without being fat.

My wife now has two rescue cats (or do they own us - I'm not sure).  I've told her that getting a third puts her formally across the line into "crazy cat lady" territory.  Hopefully that charade will continue to work or I may never get a dog....

Back to basing Nappy's, perhaps this time accompanied with a little English Beat.

What forces are up next? Austrians who have been bolstered by a very generous gift from Gary over at the Old Sarge's Blog.  I was very touched by his generosity and will try to emulate it by finding better homes for some of the soldiers that are whiling away the prime years of their tabletop lives on my lead pile.  I'll do a more detailed post on the Austrians in a week or so.

6 comments:

DeanM said...

Nice progress on your impressively growing Peninsular armies. Cute kitty too. Nice to hear you and your wife lookout for our furry friends. And yes, 13 pounds of lean and mean is pretty impressive too! My wife's toy poodle is around 9 pounds and pretty feisty at that weight.

Gary said...

Morning Miles,
Glad you like the Austrians. They will serve you well in the up coming battles. Better you to use them than I. They poor troops where buried in my room of doom.. Looking forward to see how they look. Take care and stay health.

Oldsarge ;)

Ray Rousell said...

That's a lot of figures there Miles. Looks like you're gonba make that Challenge for No1 spot!

roma912 said...

A truly impressive sight. You might need a bigger table 😃

Cheers, Ross

jmilesr said...

I’m pretty sure the core goal of this hobby is to always need a bigger table!

BigLee said...

Blimey that's a lot of figures. Basing that lot must take the patience of a saint.