Thursday, May 30, 2019

Historicon Prep: Post 1,


The official countdown timer for Historicon now reads 42 days and 11 hours so It's time to "get it in gear".  First on the task list is painting the village sets I picked up from Total Battle Miniatures.  I've primed all the buildings with grey auto primer (my go-to primer) and laid out the flexible base for the "Hamlet".

After about 90 minutes of work, I've gotten the Hamlet about 80% done and started another building.  The manufacture suggests not priming the flexible bases and just painting them with acrylic paints, which what I've done.  There is an amazing amount of detail in the building casts which just cry out to be painted.

The buildings look a bit shiny now as the paint is wet and I haven't applied any washes or the matte sealer.

I have three sets to paint:

- A Hamlet which has three buildings (to the right) and is mostly painted

- A Village which has four buildings (the buildings are on the left of the tray)

- A Town which has 7 buildings (grouped on the right of the tray).  The Town's base is also visible in the upper left of the second picture.

I did get a little lucky as the road widths for the entrances on the flexible bases match the 2" roads I have.  I will need to tweak the coloring a bit to get them to match better.  You can see one of the two road entrances on the Hamlet base - it's marked by the grey rocks.

The paints being used consist of mostly basic craft paints with some Vallejo used for details / brighter colors.

Overall, I'm really impressed with these Total Battle Miniature terrain pieces and kind of kicking myself for not getting them earlier.  Cast resin buildings may not be as fashionable as they once were given the advances in Laser cut building design and their price advantage.  I still think resin casts look the best for 15mm and smaller scales.  That's just a personal opinion and perhaps I'm demonstrating a bit of crumudegeonlyness I have been unfairly accused of.  I'm pretty sure "crumudegeonlyness" is a word and if it isn't it should be, dammit.

Hmmm maybe these accusations may not be as unfair as I first thought.....


4 comments:

Peter said...

Looking forward to seeing these in person. I agree, I think good resin models are still preferable.

john de terre neuve said...

Great looking buildings

Dwarfy Mcgee said...

Not really feeling the laser cut onslaught. See you in 42.

TamsinP said...

I do agree that resin buildings generally look better than MDF kit ones, but MDF kits do allow for embellishment for those who wish to tinker about with them.

That's a goodly load of buildings to get painted up. I'm sure they'll look simply spiffing on the tabletop when they're done :)