Sunday, October 24, 2010

Second Roman Unit Completed

The second Roman infantry unit of my planned WAB army has been painted - it's a "regular" legionnaire unit with 24 figures.  I've used Little Big Man Studio transfers for the shields also.
Next is a close up - sorry the standard kind of gets in the way.  These miniatures were painted the same way as the previous unit - white undercoat, block painted medium flesh, red, chainmail and leather.  Once dry the unit was washed with GW Sepia toned washed.
Here's a top down picture.  I've got enough plastic figures to make up 5 Legionnaire formations of 20 - 24 figures each plus one auxiliary infantry unit of 24.  I've been very happy with the Warlord plastics with one very minor exception - the plastic standards are very delicate and I've broken both.  They will be replaced with standards that are scratch built with brass rod and bits once I learn a little more about how Roman standards are configured.


The next unit on the block is some auxiliary calvary - I've got 12 Warlord metal auxiliary cavalry figures assembled and primed.  Well almost 12 - it seems the command blister was missing the upper torso of the trumpeter, which I'm sure will be quickly set right by Warlord and their massive supply chain!

4 comments:

Scullmeister said...

Geez! You're flying through them. I wish I could paint that fast! Before you know it you'll have an entire Legion on the board.

Keep up the good work.

Guidowg said...

I think I blinked and now you have 2 units. Great to see your dedication to get the army up and running. Dont stop now!!

John de Terre Neuve said...

Great looking unit, I am pleased to see you have joined the dark side and am priming white.

John

Anonymous said...

Can you Please inform me where one can purchace a Roman legion kit for infantry and auxillary units. Barry