Sunday, July 24, 2011

USS Kearsarge in 1/600 scale

I've decided to take a break from painting scores of ancients for the next week or two and return to ACW naval modeling.  Next up is the Kearsarge, a Thoroughbred Miniatures kit in 1/600 scale.  Toby at Thoroughbred makes what I consider the best line of 1/600 scale ironclad and ACW models out there and the Kearsarge is no exception.


 The model went together without any fuss and it very detailed.  Painting will have to wait until later in the week given the temps and humidity now making priming a bit of a chancy proposition.  The model is about six inches long.  I have a number of other ACW models to build including, of course, the CSS Alabama, which fought a famous duel with the Kearsarge.  The current rule set I use for ironclads is "Sail and Steam Navies" but I'm thinking of switching to the simpler but just as fun "Beer and Pretzels" Ironclads.

Lastly, a "only in America photo".  On my way back from picking my son up from Boy Scout camp we happened on the pictured vehicle.  It was a 1950's hearse mounted on a Monster Truck frame.  The Maryland license plate reads "UNDRTKER".  Don't worry, it had an official "street legal" sticker on it.  One never knows what one will see while driving around the roads of the rural Maryland Eastern Shore.  Perhaps some cemeteries are harder to get to than others.

7 comments:

The Angry Lurker said...

Nice, very nice.

Paul O'G said...

Lovely job!

If you shoot me an email, I'll send your son some Australian scout badges for his camp blanket

Walt said...

And just by mere coincidence, as I have been painting up ACW 1:600 recently myself, I happen to have recently acquired both the Kearsarge and the Alabama to work on. I look forward to your posts on this.

V/R

Walt

jmilesr said...

Walt - I just finished building the Alabama today - the walkway near the smokestack is a bit tricky to assemble, but it looks really nice when done. I'm sensing a battle between our fleets in the future!

Miles

Walt said...

Miles: I plan to bring what I have accomplished so far to Guns of August, and certainly FALL IN. Probably I'll run BAPI... I'd be delighted to join fleets together, although I'm a piker compared to you!

I'll also be blogging on this same build so it should be fun demonstrating the right way and wrong way, ha ha!

V/R

Walt

jmilesr said...

I look forward to the co-build process. I sure hope you'll be demonstrating the right way 'cause I got the wrong way covered!

I will not be making Guns of August (going on a Boy Scout trip to Sea Base with my son). I will likely be attending Fall-In

Miles

Walt said...

Sea base! Awesome. Some of our kids did that, though I haven't had the pleasure(?) yet.