Thursday, June 11, 2020

Barstool Project Edging Closer to Complete

 I was able to spend a couple hours in the garage workshop and managed to finish the seats tops and attach them to the frames.  There will be another round of sanding and then the barstools will be ready for finish.  It looks like I will make my self imposed deadline of Monday's club re-opening.

 The first task of the day was to glue up the fourth seat top.  I had to use narrow cut-offs from the leg / apron pieces but had just enough the get a 14 inch square seat out of those scraps.  Sometimes it is better to be lucky than smart.
While the fourth seat was setting up, I got out my router and a round-over bit to take the edge off the seats - I think they came out nicely.  I'll hand sand the top flush and buff out the sharp edge on the corner.
Once I finished rounding over the three previously made seats, the fourth had set up and was also rounded over.

Attaching the seats to the frames was done with glue and some hidden cross sections tacked in place with brad nails.  Once the glue dries the seats will be very firmly in place.

The final task of the day was going over and covering all the brad nails with wood putty.  I've got about 3-4 hours of sanding to do and these stools will be pretty much done.

1 comment:

Adelaide Gamer said...

They look great. Some lucky asses at the club! Wouldn't you like to eliminate sanding?