Tuesday, June 9, 2020

Barstools for the Club

 With social distancing rules beginning to ease, there have been rumblings of re-opening our club for gaming.  Normally this news would be greeted with joy but I need to get some barstools built to make good on a promise.  I cut all the wood and lap joints a few weeks ago so should get these built this week - well that's the plan at least.  So far 2020 has done a pretty good job screwing up my plans

First up is assembling the leg frames - these are being built for strength and durability not style.  I am cheating a bit as I'm using a brad nailer to tack the pieces in place while the glue dries.
A few hours of workshop time and all for frames are built.  Two stools will be 29 inches high and two will be 24 as that's what we have in the club now.  These frames are super sturdy and should survive high impact gamer usage for years to come.
With the frames built, the next step is to glue up the panels for the seats.  The seat tops will be 14 inches square so I'm glueing up 15 inch square panels (3, 15x5 inch sections).  When glueing up panels, it's really important that the edges faces are square and well sanded.  Also don't put too much pressure on the clamps or the wood will bow.

It was at this stage of the project, I was reminded that I was, indeed, a moron.  I've only got enough poplar wood prepared for three seats not 4!  I could plane up some more from scraps or make the 4th seat out of (shudder) plywood.  I am in a bit of a ethical quandary here.

While the panels are setting up, I made some test pieces with different finishes.  I really like Danish Oil as a finish - it's looks good and is very easy to apply.  After looking at this picture I've realized that my color palette for wood finishing is somewhat narrow - I might need to try some darker finishes.

Before attaching the seats to the frames all of the outer edges will get rounded over and there will be sanding - oh there will be a lot of sanding on this project.

I should get these finished this week and have them up in the club by Monday.  Hopefully you'll see them in a supporting role in a future Little Wars TV episode.  Get it, "supporting role" - he,he - I should have been a stand up comic 'cause I slay me......

7 comments:

Ray Rousell said...

Very nice Mile's!

CelticCurmudgeon said...

These promise to be a terrific add on to your gaming facilities. Good on you!

Bluewillow said...

Very nice job on those!

I will take 4 please!


cheers
Matt

George Anderson said...

Impressive, my own tools run to a pair of scissors and a screwdriver.

Curt said...

Great work Miles! It looks like the construction of my gaming studio is 'a go' so I'll have to chat to you about possible table designs (things to look for and pitfalls). Maybe once this current silliness is past I can entice you up for a 'site visit'. :)

Tom L said...

You make it look easy. Are you making the cushion tops yourself?

So, poplar or plywood, what was the call?

Miles said...

No cushions - I may order some silly throw pillows. I am planning to make a removable "special" top for one club member but that will be a surprise.

I went with Poplar - I had just enough to make up the fourth seat.