Monday, November 23, 2020

Fabricator Cart

Building terrain is the aspect of the hobby I enjoy the most but it's both messy and some of the tools take up a lot of space.  The biggest culprits in that last category are my 3D printer and Cricut cutting machine.  Rather than take up precious gaming table space, I decide to build a rolling cart so I can stack these devices and store them out of the way.


The first picture is the base frame flipped on it's side while checking for square.  The joinery for the frame is a "floating tennon" which provides a great opportunity to get some practice with my Festool Domino cutter.  I need that practice because the next big woodworking project is building some new nightstands as a Christmas present for my wife.  Given the year she has had treating Covid patients, she deserves a really nice Christmas.


Here's a picture of the frame right side up and clamped while the glue sets.  There will be 2 main shelves - one at the top and one along the bottom.  The 3D printer goes on the top shelf and the cricut machine on the bottom.  There will be 4 locking caster wheels which will keep this unit from shaking as the machines do their thing.


Todays task will be to add a drawer along the top section for storage.


I should get this unit done in a few days.


The overall dimensions are 18 inches wide, 24 inches deep and 30 inches tall.  The wood is cheap construction grade pine 2x4s cut down to a 2x2 size.  The plans are - well there aren't really any plans, I'm kind of making this thing up as I go.  Usually not the best method for woodworking are building anything.
 

3 comments:

Codsticker said...

Great solution.
"The plans are - well there aren't really any plans, I'm kind of making this thing up as I go."
That's how I do things- and yes- it's usually a shit show, but I am not quite the carpenter that you are.

MartinC said...

Looks cool, good to see you yesterday

Bluewillow said...

Great idea, but need to do something similar, but I am using kitchen cabinets

Cheers
Matt