Sunday, October 4, 2015

Wargames Illustrated Issue 336: Shameless Self Promotion

Issue 336 of Wargames Illustrated has the Historicon'15 show report and I was both very surprised and a bit chuffed to see that my two games got a full page spread (page 91).  The whole show report is really very well done and there are some great looking games profiled.

The only disappointing thing is my co-host for the games, Mike M's name isn't listed.  These games would not be possible without his efforts and brushwork skills.  Mike painted most of the British force and helped co manage the games which with 10 players can be a bit challenging.  We also had a great set of players who were able to shoulder aside my bad jokes and find a way to enjoy themselves anyway.

I know it seems both silly and a bit self aggrandizing but it is very rewarding to get a little recognition for the efforts of Mike and myself.

We'll be retiring the ACW theme from next years show and focusing on a linked set of games that span the American War of Independence through the War of 1812.  How are we going to do that?  To be honest, that whole "thinking" part isn't really started yet.

There was one major goof packing up from Historion'15 - I left the naval gaming mat behind - it was stock marine grade vinyl but that's easily replaced.

With the cold weather descending upon the Chesapeake, there'll be more time for painting and thinking about convention games.

11 comments:

DeanM said...

Well-deserved recognition, Miles! I may have to pick up a copy - although I haven't bought a wargame mag in years :)

Paul O'G said...

Fantastic and well deserved too!

I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive, but I'll bring it Fall-In! so you can sign it for me :-)

The Angry Lurker said...

Well done sir, more fame!

TamsinP said...

Shame about your co-host not getting a name-check, but you must be pleased as Punch to get a full page spread.

congrats! :)

Moiterei_1984 said...

Well done! Congrats.

Monty said...

Huzzaahh!!

Baconfat said...

Congratulations, you deserved more coverage though.

Ray Rousell said...

I saw the game in the mag, it looked excellent, we've often talked about us Brits getting involved in the ACW, and putting some Crimean Brits in a game, wonder what would have happened???

jmilesr said...

Thanks for the kind comments - I was surprised at the pics they used from the ironclad game but any advertising is good advertising!

Stephen Smith said...

And rightly so too very nice games fantastic tables and miniatures

Ivor Evans said...

That's brilliant Miles! Congratulations! I'll have you sign my copy at H-con '16 :)