All in all, I am far luckier than I deserve and am very grateful for what we have.
Gaming wise it was a very eventful year and my enjoyment of the hobby continues to grow. Some of the highlights include:
(1) Hosting a Mini Gaming con in April: Rather than go to Cold Wars and whine about the decrepit Host Resort, I decide to host a mini gaming con for three days in St Michaels. I had 13 or so like minded souls stay over the course of the event and it was a blast to put on. Many thanks to the WWPD crew and friends for attending. In fact it was so much fun we had a similar event in November.
The number of attendees kind of strained the my house a bit but there was no lasting damage and and lot of great gaming - I'm looking forward to the next edition in late April / Early May of 2017
My painting tally for 2016 was pretty good and the vast majority was done during the Painting Challenge
Infantry 488 222
Cavalry 2 2
Artillery 12 8
Vehicles 9 17
Ships 3 0
Infantry 101 132
Cavalry 0 0
Artillery 16 0
Vehicles 23 11
1/1200 Ships 2 2
1/600 Ironclads 0 10
So now you know what I felt good about in 2016 - how did I compare to my goals - well so-so:
(1) Conventions: Attend 4 2 HMGS, 2 non HMGS: PASS
- I'll give myself a passing grade but just barely - I get bonus points for hosting two mini-cons!
(2) Gaming / Tournaments: Play in 6 tournaments / host three gaming nights: PASS
- I played in only 1 tournament in 2016, but hosted 7 nights of gaming so I'll give myself a pass
(3) Finish my Napoleonic Peninsular Collection: FAIL
- I added two Portuguese battalions but nothing else
(4) Write a Draft set of Rules: FAIL
- I've got some notes jotted down but nothing shared with anyone else - writing wargame rules is hard! I should bear that in mind when making comments about other peoples rulesets.
(5) Add 36 square feet of sectional terrain: PASS
- I added roughly 40 and have a good set of panels to choose from.
(6) Sell some stuff to make room for more stuff: EPIC, EPIC FAIL
- lets not talk about this one.....
(7) Finish in the top ten of the Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge VI: Major Pass
- Managed to eek out a first place!
Overall not to bad.
I'm still thinking about goals for 2017