Saturday, November 16, 2019

Troop Cabinet 2.0 - All Done

 I got up early today and decided to bang out the cabinet and get it installed under my table.  Here's a shot of the installed unit.

 I assembled the cabinet carcass out of 1/2 inch plywood.  Its a simple cube with a divider and the overall dimensions are 21.75 inches wide, 25 inches tall and 18 deep.  The only part that requires some precision is placing the middle column as it if its off to one side the drawers will not fit.  I just made 10 1/8 inch spacer for each side to make sure the placement was accurate.  The drawer gaps are set to be 10 1/8 inch wide - 10 inches for the drawer and 1/8 of "wiggle" room.

I then cut the drawer runners.  Like the earlier troop cabinet, I'm using very simple wood platforms as runners.  Putting drawer slides in would just be too expensive and add a lot of un-needed weight.
Putting in the runners is a bit tedious (OK, a lot tedious)
 With the cabinet built, all that was left was to finish all the drawers. I had built 5 as a trial a few days ago so just had 11 to go.  All the wood was cut and using my handy dandy drawer jig got these 11 done in less than an hour.  My average assemble time Wass 2 minutes and 40 seconds per drawer.   Yes, I did time myself.  Why? - because I'm a geek.


 After sanding the drawers, I attached the drawer pulls.  I had just enough of the library card pulls to put one on every drawer.  I like these pulls a lot and think the add a good bit to the look.
 When building projects that need to fit in a specific area there's always a bit of an apprehensive walk when you carry the unit and try it's fit for the first time.  No need for worry as I got the measurements right.  OK - given my track record on measurement accuracy, there was a lot of need to worry.
 Look! there's room for 6,000 15mm scale troops

 A shot looking down from the table top
and the first troops have taken up residence - my 15mm Imperial Romans and
Sassanids.

The project has been on my to-do list for many, many months so it felt great getting it knocked out.  Sunday will be spent re-organizing the war game rooms and filling up these drawers.


11 comments:

Ray Rousell said...

Geektastic!!!

Independentwargamesgroup said...

As I sit here reading your post, my thumb is heavily bandaged after attempting to saw it off during a woodwork lesson at a school where I volunteer. Whilst envious of anyone who can turn their hand to anything constructive its fair to say I think I may hate you for being so damned handy. Well done............

Miles said...

Indy - Sorry to hear of your workshop mishap, perhaps you should go with a version of the story that you bravely demonstrated how important workshop safety is for "the kids". At least that's what I'd do. I'm not all that handy but every now and then I stumble across something useful. Thank the lord for pneumatic brad nailers - they do make even a moron like me somewhat effective.

Miles said...

Ray - I needed something to store the output from the upcoming Painting Challenge - Oh I have big plans for this year......

Unlucky General said...

Drawers are like shelves - we have a subconscious need to fill them and before you know it, we have. I am always one bookshelf behind and my storage for wargaming is no different. Your cabinet looks great and much credit to you for building it yourself.

Codsticker said...

Lovely work. I could use a couple of those. The library drawer pulls are perfect for history nerds.

Paul O'G said...

Greta job mate - looks the business indeed!
But only 6000 15mm figs? Thats not enough to last you given your usual AHPC productivity :-)
You better build a bigger one and donate this one to me...

Miles said...

I'd be happy to build you one but you'll have to come to the states to pick it up!

Paul O'G said...

hahaha!

Jonathan Freitag said...

I want one too!

Der Alte Fritz said...

Miles: you are distgustingly talented in the woodwork shop. I am green with envy. LOL.

Jim