Sunday, October 4, 2020

Stalingrad Project: Grudinin Mill 2.0.& Ground Color

After laying out the January 9th square portion of the Stalingrad table I realized that I was making a consistent error in the buildings being scratch built - they were all under scale.  This bias became apparent after I finished the very nice Pavlov’s House set from “Things From The Basement”.  It’s a great kit and is at a true 15mm scale.  My initial version of Grudinin’s Mill was just too small.


The scale mismatch for ruins just isn’t a problem, but for a handful of named places it does become an issue so I redid the mill, as you can see in the first picture.  It’s made out of chipboard with some styrene accent strips.  I’ll do a future post about how it was built as I’m using a new tool.

Here’s a picture of the two Grudinin Mills next to one another.  The original version will get repurposed as another building.  One of the benefits of scratch building these its really easy to change them up.  I still need to add battle damage to the new mill and paint it a red-oxide color.  The real mill is a red brick building but this one will do.

I’ve been wracking my brain (admittedly that’s a limited use tool) on how to paint the ground colors when it dawned on me that maybe I don’t need to:

Pictured is a open hex tile that has not been painted - the colors present are from the tile grout, railroad ballast and talus I’ve used for texture.  You can see where the green primer I used on the sides of the hex slopped over on the tile (bottom edge).  I think a nice top primer before texture is added and I’m done.

I do have some earth tone and concrete Vallejo pigments I can use to smooth out the colors but I don’t think I need to paint these tiles.


 

2 comments:

Codsticker said...

I agree on the rubble- I think it looks good as is; you don't have to paint it. You have a really nice mix of aggregate and colours there and it looks very natural.

Delta Coy said...

Great to see the project progressing and yes, the rubble looks like...rubble.