Thursday, October 8, 2020

Univermag Department Store Scratch Build

 

Here is a scratch built version of the iconic Univermag Department store for the Stalingrad table.  The model was designed by me using Inkscape and then cut out on 2mm thick chipboard using my recently acquired Cricut Maker.   

It's not a "true-to-scale" model but I think it captures enough of the "feel" to be used.  A true scale version in 15mm would be 2x the size.  A friend from the club has 3d printed the front entrance, so I may rebuild this using that once I finish removing all the print supports but that's for another post


The curved front section is a bit crude and designed to fit the hex terrain so it's fixed on a 120 degree angle.  The front facade was cut flat and then the chipboard was curved by misting it with water and forming along the side of a 1 quart can of paint.  In hindsight, I should have used thineer chipboard (1mm vs 2mm) but it came out OK.


The back view is pretty much made up by yours truly.  I've got no idea how accurate it is but think this is good enough.  There are probably more windows than were actually present but that's easy to fix by just adding a different back panel.  

I'm really pleased with how this model came out.  I built this to really test out the combination of Inkscape and the Cricut for terrain making and am really excited about the prospects.  I made a ton of mistakes and still struggle drawing curves in Inkscape but the combination of the two tools is really improving how I can scratch build terrain.  

3 of the planned 11 "iconic" buildings from central Stalingrad are now built (Pavlov's House, Grundinin Mill and the Univermag).  Next on the list will be the Nail Factory, which was a few hundred meters west of the Univermag.  I've got some pretty good images of what the building looked like, including some online pictures of a Novus Designs model.  As for the rest, I am still looking for some street level pictures and pretty much  now just have overhead aerial imagery.  Those are great for estimating overall size and shape of the footprint but I may be winging it on what the facades look like.

Terrain work on for the Stalingrad table has been called to a halt, as a significant clear out is now called for.  Terrain making is really messy work and by the time I finished assembling the model, I was working in a 6x6 inch piece of space on my workbench.  There are a lot of chipboard scraps from the cutting process which need to be sorted through - there is a lot of material that can still be used.  Chipboard is a very inexpensive material but it's not free so I don't want to waste any if I can avoid it.

4 comments:

Jonathan Freitag said...

Very impressive piece of real estate, Miles!

irishserb said...

Wow, that came out really nice. Cutting all of those narrow windows by hand would have been a literal pain.

Secundus said...

You are the model/ terrain master! Impressive....most impressive.

Joe Procopio said...

I didn't think I needed to play a Stalingrad game until I saw this. Wow. This is shaping up to be another amazing project, Miles.