Tuesday, February 9, 2010

15MM Scenery

Since the recent blizzard here in Maryland gave me some unexpected time-off, I decided to put that time to good use by working on some scenery projects for an upcoming Flames of War game I'll be hosting for my club.  The picture to the left is of a village strong point and is built on a 1ft square piece of masonite.  I'm about 2/3's complete and need to add ground cover and some more details.  The rubble is some HO scale ballast and some odd pieces of strip wood.  The only thing I'm not really happy with is the cobblestone street in the center.  It's made from an HO scale sheet of Plastruct cobblestone siding.  I'll try a couple ways to fix it and if that doesn't work, Ill try something else.  At least I'm starting to use some of the HO model rail road stuff I've accumulated.
Here's another shot of the village. center-left building will serve as a bank for the scenario, which will be a "Kelly's Hero's" themed game with the allies assaulting the town and then trying to make off with the loot as German reinforcements try to catch them.  I still need to work out the details but I have about 3,000 points for both the Germans and Americans.  I'll post some details about the scenario for comments later.


I also spent some time working on some sectional roads and bocage pieces.  The road sections are made from strathmore board and window sealant and I'm very happy with them.  I tried some latex based commercial road sections but could never really get the paint to stick and just didn't like the "feel" of them on the table.  I find strathmore board to be a great material to work with and will probably try to make some river sections with it.  There are also some urban road sections made from the same plastruct material.  lastly, you can see the bocage sections painted up and awaiting ground foam.  A completed one is at the top left of the photo.

The weather guys are indicating we are going to get another 10-20 inches of snow today - to go on top of the 32 inches we have.  At least I'll have time to finish my projects!

6 comments:

DeanM said...

It's looking good. I picked up a nice unpainted terrain piece from the local convention here last year. I only paid $20 for it as has imperfections - basically it doesn't sit exactly flat. It seems to be scaled for anything from 15mm to maybe smaller 25mm. Lot's of ruins and cobblestone streets. I'll see if I can paint it up and maybe resell it at this year's convention :)! Dean

jmilesr said...

I got the pieces used in the pictures at a discount for some similar casting issues. A little grinding and air bubble filling and I've got serviceable buildings

Galpy said...

If you send me an email here at work, beynon.print@xtra.co.nz I can email some properganda posters for 15mm buildings
Cheers
Kent

john de terre neuve said...

They look pretty nice, I will look forward to seeing things painted up.

John

Beccas said...

Really good job on the ruined village. I would buy something like that.
Paul

Anonymous said...

If you're still unhappy with the Plastruct cobblestones take a look at the texture on "naugahyde" (or however it's spelled!) at a fabric store. It's thin, flexible, lays flat, takes paint well and though I haven't used it for that it's got a great cobblestone pattern!

Good Luck!
~ Tom T