Tuesday, June 11, 2019

A Distinguished Visitor and More General D'Armee

This weekend saw the St Michaels house graced by several distinguished visitors - Ed and his lovely wife Teresa from the gaming club and Peter D from Regina,  the Single Handed Admiral blog, and a "famed" participant in the Challenge.

It was a grand weekend,  I didn't have any pictures of Ed and T as Ed's media people wanted way too much money for any image work.  Ed's now a you tube sensation as you can see in the following video.  Wait till the very end.

The first picture is of Peter arriving.  Oops that's just a local terrapin turtle.  Wonder how I got this mixed up?

Ok - here's a picture of Peter setting up for a quick game of GdA in our basement.  Peter was a wonderful guest and tolerated a lot of driving around.

We replayed the game from the last week at the club - Peter was the French and I was the British.  Each player had four brigades (3 Inf and 1 Cav). The French had their three inf brigades on the board while the British only had 2 and were defending the monastery in the picture

Peter moving his French columns up.  While in column they can move 9 vs 6 inches for line so he was on me a lot quicker.  The increase in speed really offsets the loss in fire power.

The attack is forming up and 2 French brigades are bearing down on the Spanish.

Action on my left flank as my 2nd brigade is preparing to assault the British.

A turn of ineffective firing for me and one of the brigades looses fire discipline.

Disaster strikes - even though I've managed to get my cav on the board (as does Peter) - I fail all my ADC rolls which limits my ability to react to Peters well timed assault.

Peter's French swept my hapless Spanish out of the monastery and I conceded the game.  It was a lot of fun and I'm feeling like I am starting to really understand the rules.  GdA is an excellent Napoleonic system and one that I will stick with.

Thanks to Peter for a great game and for being such a superb guest.  He is welcome in Maryland anytime his jet setting life of academia brings him here.











9 comments:

TamsinP said...

Well I, for one, believe that the terrapin is an extremely distinguished visitor.

Good to hear that you and Peter had an enjoyable game :)

john de terre neuve said...

Looks like a great time, and I am really pleased that you find GdA the one! AsI agree....

Miles said...

GdA was a little hard to first play given the four pages of QEF charts and the writing style of the rulebook. Thiat is to say the rules are great to read but hard to find a specific item. Once you grasp the basic mechanics the games plays wonderfully.

Peter Douglas said...

Thanks for hosting me Miles, it was great to meet you in person and I really enjoyed my stay.

I'll be posting the view from the opposing camp shortly.

Peter

Peter Douglas said...

Tamsin P
The terrapin was far more distinguished than I. Also most of us would move a turtle speed compared to the warp factor 9 that Miles and Marybeth operate at.
Cheers
Peter

Miles said...

MB can be intimidating - even to me! but she is a grand cook and really enjoys doing so. Please Peter can no say there are only 2 degrees of separation from him and his heroes - the Koch brothers. Perhaps that is best left to Peter to expand upon.....

Also I think Peter would agree that Otis is the Man! Well as much as a dog can be so

Peter Douglas said...

The brother's Koch and I have a mutual interest in sailing. I personally would be happiest with there being as much water between us as possible, preferably vertically!

And yes Otis is the man! I took quite a shine to the little guy despite my natural aversion to smaller fluffy white dogs. It helps that he did not yap and is quite happy getting his coiffure muddy.

Ray Rousell said...

Looks like a lot of fun!

Curt said...

Sounds like an awesome time. I'm glad that Peter behaved himself and was a good Canadian ambassador to our friends to the South. I agree, GdA is a great ruleset.