Friday, May 1, 2015

Sectional Terrain: Tile Grout vs Joint Compound

Material testing continues to proceed with the secret above ground testing Laboratories go the Geek's Lair, also known as the "garage". The texture from the first tests with joint compound were fine but it's durability is very questionable.  Chris left a very useful comment  in the previous post about tile grout and I decided to give it a whirl.  A quick sanding off gf the joint compound and the a very light coat of the grout was added.  The type I'm using comes pre-mixed, textured,  and also colored (sandstone).  So far it's proving to be a great alternative.

Obligatory file shot of the product being tested - who knows maybe I'll discover a new market for the manufacturer and they'll sign me up for a juicy promotional deal - "Geek Grout - don't accept any substitute"

Yeah, I know, I will not be holding my breath on that one coming through.


2 comments:

john de terre neuve said...

Yes I think joint compound even the heavy stuff may not be that hardy. I use grout compound myself but also find wood filler in the orange and white tubs pretty useful.

John

Chris said...

Glad that my comment might be useful. Regarding the product I mentioned, it is grout AND ADHESIVE premixed. I can't tell if that is what you got. Just grout might not do the job. I use that mix for fields, roads and filing in modelled features where bare earth is required (bottoms of trenches). While I apply it I squirt hobby craft paint (brown) into the soft material and spread it with a painting knife and large brush thereby mixing the paint and grout/adhesive. The adhesive really makes it tough. Oh yeah, I base my models in the Gilder/Ray fashion and also use the grout/adhesive mix as a substitute for the premixed joint compound.