I had a few hours free yesterday so decided to add some ground texture to my test sectional boards. The first picture shows the materials that will be employed - a selection of ground covers from Woodland Scenics and Scenic Express. An old kitchen strainer will be used to apply the materials. The binding agent is some diluted white glue (50/50 mix with water). Not pictured is another important tool - a spray bottle filled with water and a few drops of dishwashing soap.
I do need to make two very important points
(1) When in use store the dry components to one side of the project and the wet ones on the other - just trust me that this is a good idea.
The field will need to be redone. My apologies if this photo upset those of you who are sensitive to these kind of things...
I did choose NOT to apply my static grass with out the electric applicator that makes it stand up. This was a choice where practicality won over appearances. While the grass does look better standing up, it's far less durable and these boards will see a lot of transporting.
Why all the 1/2 inch thick pieces of extruded polystyrene? Is my planning that intricate? Nope, I was practicing cutting dimensions of scrap polystyrene 'cause I got a new toy:
Thermocutter - think band saw for polystyrene! I got the idea from Anton's Wargame Blog and his fantastic fort project.
I purchased mine from Amazon Prime. The list price was a bit higher but the free delivery made the total cost cheaper. Now here the cool part - Amazon is testing same day delivery in my area (DC / Baltimore) so I ordered this beauty on a Tuesday morning and received it Tuesday evening. All hail Jeff Bezos!!!
It's a really useful tool but I'm still figuring out how to use it effectively.
Edit: As I go along in this project, I'll keep adding to the list of "Stupid Terrain Maker Tricks" - here's the first:
(1) Ground foam crops look awful when they are both different sized and not spaced evenly enough - take the time to add details the right way and don't rush